DEMOGRAPHIC PROJECTIONS MODEL
Inforum has developed a Demographic Projections Model (DPM) to provide population forecasts to 2080 based on assumptions about fertility rates, survival rates, immigration, and population levels in the economy. The model originally was developed to facilitate analysis of Social Security and Medicare Trust Fund issues. Demographic forecasts from the model are fed into our Long Term Interindustry Forecast. When used together with Inforum's LIFT model, the demographic projections model can answer the following types of questions:
- How will changes in immigration policy affect the solvency of the Social Security Trust Fund?
- How will changes in immigration policy affect manufacturing employment/unemployment?
- What would be the impact on overall spending if there were a baby boom?
- What would be the impact on the economy if infant mortality rates were reduced?
- What would be the impact of increased life expectancy on the economy?